Friday, June 20, 2014

Watch It Played: Progress

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a new game I wanted to make to help promote Rodney Smith's Watch It Played video series. That post included the basic rules and structure for Watch It Played: the Card Game (hereafter WIP).

I mentioned this in the comments on that post, but for those who missed it, WIP got an inaugural play at Origins last weekend. Two plays actually, one 2 player and one 4 player.

Let me begin by saying that, as any game designer knows, the first live playtest of a game is not always pretty. But I'm happy to report that as first tests go, this actually went very well!

I'll certainly have some tweaking to do, and there's a question as to the game length (and how exactly the end of the game should be handled), but so far so good!

One thing I need to figure out is the value of thumb majority. I'm pretty sure I know how I can figure that out, I just need to make it attractive enough to go for, but not so strong that it overpowers  the regular points.

The other thing I need to figure out is exactly what happens at the end of the game. I generally like the game end trigger of exhausting the deck twice, and I might have to change a few of the cards so the deck draws out a little slower to make that work. But what happens when the trigger occurs? Should we finish out the round? Play 1 additional full round? End the game immediately? I'm not exactly sure what's best.

What I'm going to need now is some outside playtesting. So if you'd like Print and Play files, and are willing to play the game and give me feedback, then please leave a comment on this thread, or email sedjtroll at gmail with the subject "WIP PNP" and I'll get you set up with a PnP file.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Game Designing Courses said...

Very interesting one!